The thing you have to keep in mind when you re-examine Les Bowman's comments on this subject -- and Bowman was a very bright man and good observer -- is that the most common .300s that were brought into his camps in those days were .300 Weatherby's. Those early Southgate-built FN and German-built Mark Vs were typically very light rifles with light barrel contours and crooked stocks with a lot of drop at heel, plus high Monte Carlo combs. Recoil pads weren't that soft, either.

I've shot a few of these rifles myself, and those light .300 Weatherby's just plain kick like a mule. It's no wonder in my mind that some of Bowman's clients didn't shoot those rifles so well. Modern .300 Weatherby's with good Decelerator recoil pads, and high, straight stocks are much more shootable.

Even the early Remington 700s ( I have one built in 1963) in 7mm Rem. Mag., while they do kick less than those .300 Weatherbys, actually kick harder than more modern rifles chambered in .300 Winchester.

My Echols-built .300 Winchester is much more shootable than that early 7mm Mag. of mine, and one of my friends has a Model 70 Sporter LT in .300 Win. (Miller-designed stock) that also kicks less.

Felt recoil isn't all about the cartridge, it's also about the RIFLE.

This new Kimber has a very well-designed stock from all appearances. It should be very shooter-friendly.......

AD

"The placing of the bullet is everything. The most powerful weapon made will not make up for lack of skill in marksmanship."

Colonel Townsend Whelen