Guess I should have asked which is more accurate, and by how much? If the 7mm is .5 inches at 100 yards and the 300 is .75 inches, the 50% better group of the 7mm is insignificant at most shooting ranges (at 600 yards the dif is 3 inches, all things being otherwise equal).

I have kimbers and Tikkas, might just get a Savage in 7mm WSM with the accutrigger, just to experiment.

David,

You might answer your own question. As an engineer you might surmise that many cartridges produce similar accuracy. There was a report published by Remington a while back, of which I would like to see here, of the accuracy of the cartridges that the 40X had been chambered for. In general the larger the cartridge the larger the groups but not by much. In theory you might agree that the force of a larger cartridge might disturb the same rifle more.

I have a 270 and a 7mm WSM. Both are reasonably accurate but at the moment the 7mm is slightly more so. This is just the variance in guns.

Some quoted a gunsmith who claims that the 300 WSM is the more accurate of the trio. Perhaps it is? I do know that the owner of a shop that builds long range match rifles here in CT is now shooting the 300 WSM for 1000 yd target.

Just pick the one you want and good luck is the reality of it all.

As to the Savage WSM. I bought one as I could not wait for a custom 270 WSM to be finished. This was a very heavy 12fvss. If it had shot well I might have kept it. It didn't.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!