If all other factors are equal, I don't think that recoil is that much of an issue when choosing between a 7mm cartridge and a .30 caliber cartridge. For me at least, the .280 Rem. doesn't kick that much less than a .30-06, and 7mm Rem. Mag. doesn't kick that much less than a .300 Win. Mag. -- not enough recoil difference to get in the way of good shooting.

In the case of the later two cartridges, in my experience the .300 Win. hammers stuff better than the 7mm Rem., so when choosing a WSM cartridge, the .300 is the one I'd go with. I have literally shot the works with the .300 Win. Mag., from pronghorn to African lion, so I'm really on the side of the .300 WSM in this case.

But really, selection should depend upon whether you're a 7mm fan or a .300 fan. What mantra do you buy into? Which cartridge best captures your imagination? I know guys who have literally "shot the works" with the 7mm Rem. Mag. as well.............

AD

"The placing of the bullet is everything. The most powerful weapon made will not make up for lack of skill in marksmanship."

Colonel Townsend Whelen