I have said it a hundred times, the .270 AIN"T NO ELK CALIBER! Under ideal circumstance, yes it will kill elk, lions, moose and elephants, but it doesn't do it very well. Elk don't give you the perfect broud side 150 yard shot very often. Every elk I have had the mispleasure of tracking for long hours has been shot with a .270 AND partitions. Even on well placed shots, the .270 just doesn't decisively break shoulders and crumple elk. I have tracked elk that have been crunched in the shoulders, lungs, etc. The very small entrance hole and minimal amount of tissue disruption take a while to take affect on big bulls. I will catch heck for saying that, but that is my opinion based on a lot of elk experience. When a trophy bull of a lifetime stands before you at 350 yard, or even a hundred yards, do you really want a .270 in your hands????? It is a great deer caliber, but leave it home when elk hunting for serious bulls.

Had you not been there with your .350, that bull would have likely been lost, especially with a high hit and no blood trail. I still can't figure out why your buddy wasn't pouring on the lead until the bull was down. You killed a great bull and I am happy you did. It is a beautiful trophy. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.