I hunted elk this Oct. in S. Colorado. I was able to take the best bull in 40 years of elk hunting. I used my Ruger #1, in .280 Improved, and 140 gr. Nosler Partitions (actually, one Nosler). I had spotted him earlier in the afternoon, bedded down in a small patch of trees in a sagebrush flat below me, with several cows.
This big guy moved just before sundown, taking his time through sagebrush and toward the timber where I was waiting. He finally presented a shot, ranged at 274 yards. Thanks to a bright Leupold 6x, I was able to see him clearly, although legal shooting light was fast disappearing.
He finally went nearly broadside, slightly quartering to me. I held halfway up on his chest, and touched off the shot.
He staggered, took about 10 steps in a semicircle, and died.
I collected my gear, and worked my way down to the bull. I couldn't believe the amount of blood, mostly from the nose and mouth. It looked like Charles Manson had gotten there before me.
The Nosler didn't exit, but the internal tissue damage was enormous. No lungs left, just blood. And a very dead elk, a result just like Dogzapper predicted!
Most of the elk I have taken before this one have been with the 7mm Rem. Mag. And the results have been nearly the same. All this does is add fuel to a fire that isn't burning out anytime soon!!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....