Been pulling live and dead weight for 40 years in the Rockies, on paved two lane mountain highways and off-pavement backcountry roads--in the early days with underpowered, overloaded pickups..... grin cry

Like you said, 5th wheels/goosenecks pull easier and are more manueverable. 5th wheels render the pickup useless for anything else except hauling a gallon of milk. The gooseneck ball can be hidden under the bed when not towing.

TT/hitch trailers don't use up the pick up bed, and are less expensive to buy (usually)

I run camper shells on 2 out of 3 pickups, so I usually grab the hitch trailers for that reason.

Couple things, last I knew GM is still making the "light duty 3/4 ton trucks--a 1/2 ton with the 3/4 ton rear axle and heavier springs--it is intended to be a puller.

Secondly, the new gas engines have lots of power--even in the mountains and at altitude where normally aspirated engines lose hp. I tried out my 2001 1/2 ton with the 5.3 this fall (which has been my Sunday-go-to-meeting truck since I bought it a few years ago) and pulled 3 horses in a 3 horse plus tack room trailer up to 9000 ft altitude, and was surprised how well it did on the highway and on the FS roads--and that was with 6 ply tires even. The newer motors have even more hp.

I sold my turbo-diesel because I didn't use it enough to justify its cost, and instead use my light duty 3/4 ton and my 1/2 ton trucks. On the rare occasion I feel the need for more, I grab my dad's turbo diesel.

My next camper will be a TT. I don't want to lose my camper shells, good, used TT's are a dime a dozen right now, and I don't want or need anything bigger than a 20-24 ft TT. With an equalizer hitch, good tires (8 or 10 ply), any of my trucks are fine.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.