Originally Posted by bcp
I see trucks with a small true "fifth-wheel" hitch in the bed, usually about a foot high. Others have a ball in the bed, some low, some high.

Pros and cons?

Thanks,

Bruce

Don't think your question got addressed, there Bruce. Friend of mine has both a 5th wheel & a goose neck. He didn't want 2 hitches so he extended his 5th wheel hitch so all he needed was a ball in the truck bed. The only problem was the point of pivot on the 5th allowed the bottom of the trailer to touch the top of the truck bed on rough terrain, thus damaging the top sides of the truck bed. Goose neck trailers usually are narrow or higher up where they go over the sides of the bed so they can pivot in rough terrain without touching the sides of the truck bed.

'bruin, you got good advise here. Personally, I pull a 24' 5th wheeler with an '03 Dodge diesel & like redneck, don't expect to wear it out. I also put a 2" receiver on the back of the trailer to pull a boat or quad trailer which we can do legally in Alberta. When not towing a trailer I have an aluminum tool box mounted there to haul extra stuff securely & out of the weather. Works really well.

Dave