I currently have a 29 foot travel trailer which dry weighs in at around 5,000lbs. Add your propane, water, grey water, black water and your gear and supplies and your over 6,000lbs pretty quickly.

When I 1st bought the TT I had a Ram 1500 4x4, auto, 4.7. It was rated somewhere around 6,500lbs for towing. With this rig I had weight distribution bars and a sway bar. When I was doing serious trips with it, I'd dump grey and black and only have the potable water about 1/4 full. Within a few thousand miles over a couple trips, it took a serious toll on that 1500 truck via the transmission, and braking. I brought it into the shop and asked them to look at both - they said no problems, but I could see the difference when I drove it.

I traded the truck for a Chevy 2500HD 4x4, 6.0L gas with 4.10 rear end. In the mountains in the east, this rig is great. Braking is much better, power is amazing and their is no hesitation in the tranny. I don't use the weight distribution bars or the sway bar anymore. With the additional weight on the tongue, I find I don't sway much at all anymore, but my tong weight is about 15% of the TT weight.

Anyway, if I were to do the tow behind camper again, I'd buy a 5th wheel, although the wife and I have already decided that when we replace the TT, we're going to pick up a nice used large class C motorhome. Much easier with the dogs, bathroom breaks, lunch on the road and I don't mind towing a small town vehicle.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.