Not sure if you have decided yet, but if you have not...The Lapua is a great choice, the 338 edge has a slight advantage. I have two edges, my heavier edge shoots 1/4 moa at 100 yards. In my opinion the Edge is the best 1200 yard gun you can build, the Lapua is a very very close second. My 14 yr old son shot his first bull elk this year at 940 yards with my edge. I've taken many elk at 800 yards plus with this gun. My ten yr old boy hit the 1,000 yard target with my edge this year on his first shot, he weighs 75 pounds wet. I'm sure you can do the same with a good Lapua.

My next leap in the shooting world is beyond 1200 yards and out to 1 mile (1760). The gun for this is the Allen Mag (408 cheytac necked to 338). This gun will be ready in three weeks and it should also be a 1/4 gun. I will top it with an NXS scope.

You need to define your objective (what your ultimate range of killing will be and then define your budget and go from there. Your optics will be just as key as your caliber selection. I use night force 5x22's. I sold my 4 1/2 by 14 long range luepold with target knobs to upgrade to NXS. When your are shooting 800 yards plus, you really need good optics as well.

hope this helps....Also, as you search for gun info, check out longrangehunting.com....It's a great forum with some of the best shooters as coaches

chow