That the 45-70 is still around and quite popular speaks more to its utility and effectiveness than pure nostalgia, in my view.

I was very big into the fast magnums up to the 340 WBY until I discovered the 45-70 22 years ago... and I've never looked back. My only regret is that it took so long to discover it and find out what it was capable of. My first was an 1895 Marlin, and I've had three other Marlins since.

My current Marlin is the "classic" with nice wood, blued steel, pistol grip and 22" barrel. I've yet to fire a factory cartridge in those 22 years. But I have shot factory bullets from 300-grains to 500-grains. All were plenty accurate. But, personally speaking, I prefer good 400s, or 405s, with flat tips and copper or gilding-metal jackets at a tad over 2000 fps. Then, there's my favorite cast-bullet load: a 465-grain at 1900 fps even. All four of my Marlins would shoot my preferred loads at close to MOA.

As to the range at which a Marlin is capable of easily taking on a moose, for example, I agree with those who say it depends on the shooter AND THE LOAD HE'S FAMILIAR WITH AND SIGHTED-IN FOR if using a scope, which I do on all my rifles. Though a ladder-type on a CB (for instance) makes a lot of sense. It's true, a scope is the limiting factor IF YOU HAVE GOOD EYES! I don't, so at my age I'm compelled to use a scope IF I expect to shoot at 300 yds, for instance. On more than one occasion, I've taken a Marlin or my Ruger #1 loaded for moose to the "Far North" where shots could have been anything up to 600 yards!

I think my current Marlin, which seems more accurate than any previous version, IS capable at 300 yards for moose with my loads, as long as I have a range finder, by simply holding on the hump.

I've also owned a NEF with black composite stock and though ugly it was very accurate. I killed a very nice bl. bear with it and the 465gr cast (1 to 10, tin to lead). The bear, at 70 yds, dropped so fast I initially lost sight of him in the tall grass as the rifle came down from recoil. I was in a tree stand, btw.

My favorite 45-70 is the Ruger No.1 in 45-70 Improved (long-throated). If and when I have to give up my rifles, this will be the last to go. With a Burris fixed 4X it comes in at 7.4 lbs. With sling and 1 in the chamber, plus four on the stock, it breaks 8 lbs even. With the power of a .458 WM, what's there not to like. My current load is a 350 TSX at 2470 fps. That's not max. It will shoot the 300 TSX at 2600 fps, the 350 at 2500 fps, a 400 at 2400, a 450 Swift at 2300 fps and the 500gr Hornady at 2200 fps. So, it's really a .458 WM disguised as a 45-70!

Since I'm now enamored by .458-bore, I must mention that my true .458 WM is the CZ, which I'm also passionate about.

But just in case I come across a coyote at 800 yds, I keep a 300 WM in my closet as well! whistle I still happen to like 300 magnums for some silly reason... laugh

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 03/15/10.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus