If you have used the 45-70 successfully, then your doing something right, and I suggest you keep on using what works for you..I understand it will work fine if you know what your doing, and if you are a hunter, not just in name but ability.

I also have a few kills on film with clients using hot loaded 45-70s and they would be good ammo for the anti hunters. There desire for a one shot kill was a disaster to the elk, they wanted to wait until he died as he wobbled around for 20 minutes or more, then I shot him, and they got mad.....thus my distrust of the caliber for the once a year hunter, and those that just want to prove a point. al I do love the old Winchester 1886s, 71s and 94s and I am guilty of hunting with sub calibers such as the 25-35, 30-30 and 250-3000 that I have used on elk..I know they are not an ideal elk calibers, but they have worked for me and none are in the power range of th 45-70..I just get close and place my shot or shots in which case they work. If used properly with common since, they 45-70 is an elk rifle. I just have had some bad experiences and perhaps I am taking it out on the caliber instead of the shooter. I will conceed to that extent.

Last edited by atkinson; 03/20/10.