The .45/70 is a useful cartridge for the hunter that can stalk or timber hunt. The ballistics are there, the competence is there and the history is there, both in age and the number of animals taken over that time.

This simply means that when someone says it is not good for whatever reason, they are simply stating lack of first hand knowledge with the cartidge.

The .30/06 is a competent 300 yard cartridge and more, and if you learn it's capabilities, the drop out to even 500 yards is not impossible, more than plausible, and again, the history is there in length of years and the number of animals taken over that time.

A thread is well worth skipping when it is clogged with negative comments from experts who recite over an over a single issue that is obviously relating to bullet placement.

I reread Jack Lotts story about the infamous cape buffalo that tossed him back in 1959 and created so much inspiration for the experts that followed. I will comment no more on this, other than to suggest reading Jack's own words on where the bullet struck. The article is floating around on this web site.

Placement is always the arbitor on cartridge competence which is why the denigrators contradict themselves when they cite in other threads the competence some very small cartridges demonstrated in their hands and due to their skill.

If a .45/70 is such a lousy elk cartridge, why has the 7x57, 270, 25/06, (shall I keep reducing the power?) ,243, .300 Savage, 25/35 enough.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.