I can't say that I can rank the top 10 because I haven't gone hunting in Africa 10 times (but a guy can dream). But I have booked many trips and used many guides throughout North America and I think know how to separate the wheat from the chaff. When I hunted South Africa I used JJHack and have to say it was not only the best guided (or PH) experience I have ever had, but the hunting experience I have ever had. Period.

Somebody else called Jim anal, and he is right. Jim sweated everything so that I could have the experience of a lifetime. No surprises. Right on budget. I don't feel like I just had a pro with me, I made an incredible friend. Even though my SA trip was several years ago, I was still in touch with Jim as late as last month getting advice about fishing in Alaska.

What really stood out about Jim was his follow-through. I took my wife with me to South Africa (she spends as many days hunting each year as I do) We all know the adage that "If Momma's not happy, ain't nobody happy." Jim instinctively knew this and took it as his mission to make sure that she had the hunting experience of her life, too. Momma was very happy. I think I got my elk hunting trip to Idaho solely on good will Jim generated for me on our trip to SA.

There may be other good professional hunters or agents, but based on my experience, I can't imagine anybody else coming out higher on a list of reputability than Jim.