I think I made good choices, though I pushed my limits a bit........ I could have bought a 24X Weaver for under $400, but the mirage can be a real problem here in the desert in the summer. The Leupold 8.5-25X50 would have been an improvement over what I had, but when conditions are good, guys like more power. Another choice would have been a 6.5-20x50 sent top premier and doubled, but both Leupold options would been almost as much as the Nightforce.

"Metplate" is what comes out when you don't QC your typing well enough. A metplat uniformer is supposed to greatly help the consistency of the bullets--we'll see.

Suicycle,

Glass is a hard choice. The variable to 32X is about ideal, but it is spendy, whether you go Nightforce or a doubled Leupold. I suppose a Sightron 6-24 might work as a more economical choice, but what stopped me was I didn't know what I would do with it after I built a real 1000 yd rifle, so it would be a money loser in the long term. BTW, Bruno's seems to have substantially better scope prices than anyone else.

http://www.brunoshooters.com

The caliber is 6mm Rem. The rifle was built as a long range varminter, and has a 27" Pac-Nor #5 with a 1x8 twist, and is on a trued up 700 action. A "real" 1000 yd BR rifle would have a straight taper, and would use a custom action, though the 700 short action can work well. Having said all that, this barreled action appears to be acurate and it will certainly be a while before I am outshooting it.

As to chamberings at this last match here. Most guys seem to shoot their Light Gun rifle in both Light and Heavy classes. A Light Gun has to weigh under 17 lbs. Here were some of the Light Gun chamberings:

300 WSM
308 Patriot
6.5 WSSM X2 (I think that should actually be "WSM", but it shows "WSSM" on the match report)
6.5x284
33 Awakina (I have no idea what that is)

Guys seem to be going away from the 308 Patriot because of the cost of brass - $2 a piece, and it doesn't seem to be any better than any other brass.
The seem to like Nesika actions around here as well.

I had to decide between using "anality" or "analness", and anality just seem better..........................