Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Okay, since some of us are not of the Mauser cognoscenti which model is that one ? grin An original sporting rifle?

Yes, it's an original Oberndorf Mauser Type B sporter. Made in 1930-31 going by Speed's book and the serial number.

I found it on the Internet for $350 in a small gun shop in Florida. The rifle was in sad shape. (The seller did not misrepresent the rifle. I knew what I was getting.)

The barrel was completely gone. Full of rust and pits. The bottom metal was military and the bolt was also military. The bolt serial numbers did not match the action. The original stock had been replaced with something that resembled a 2x4 more than a rifle stock.

So, with all of the collector value gone, I was hoping to use the action as the basis for a custom rifle. And, as Mule Deer stated earlier, I realized this was not about being economical. It's merely for the heck of it and to see if we could bring the old girl back to life once more. I discussed the project with my gunsmith (Todd Johnson) and turned the rifle over to him.

The original chambering was for the 8x60 (.318") cartridge. The rifle was sent to Dan Pedersen's shop and he installed a new barrel, matching the profile of the original barrel exactly. He also installed the original sights and barrel band sling stud on the new barrel. The new barrel is chambered for the 8x60S Mauser (.323"). (Surprisingly, Grafs sells Prvi 8x60S brass!) Dan also installed a new custom bolt handle from the Fred Wells shop on the bolt (that's the bolt handle in the pics above). Dan also inspected/checked the action and found it to be very straight and true and in surprisingly good condition.

The rifle isn't finished yet but it's come a long way from when the photos were taken. The stock is now fully inletted and shaped. All it needs is to have the oil finish applied and hand checkered. The metal work is done and it just needs to be rust blued. The rifle will have new sporter-style bottom metal (also with a straddle floor plate). The bolt has been fitted with a 3-position, side swing safety.

When my gunsmith finishes the rifle, I'll be sure to post some pics on the Fire.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke