Originally Posted by oulufinn

Wow! If unit 6 is worse than 1 & 2, I really do feel for ya. Condolences. For real. It's like the early 70s again, except much, much less land to hunt.

Not an inapt analogy.

If goal levels were instantly established in Wisconsin......and that would mean raising population levels in many north and northeastern DMU's.......it still wouldn't be nirvana for many hunters.

The deer statewide harvest was just under 40,000 the year I started hunting. And I was hunting in the southern part of the state where the deer herd hadn't yet taken a strong hold on.

However, we were at liberty to hunt virtually anywhere we wanted. We had access to those "pockets" where deer were.......if we could find them. We roamed a 4 county area at will looking for them. Those days are certainly gone.

But from a management perspective, you can't "inflate" a deer herd to a specific small area to satisfy what is now a rather "stationary" hunting population. Distribution of the herd will continue to be an escalating problem in a time when the mobility of the hunter is becoming more and more restrictive.