Originally Posted by SKane

I may have been hasty in my "bringing them back" statement as I'm well aware that they were here in the 70's.

The Timber Wolf Recovery Plan in 1989 (IIRC) is to what I was referring......

Oh....OK. I thought I was going to hear the "Wisconsin DNR planted wolves" story again. smile

The Great Lakes states all developed a "Wolf Recovery Plan" to reply to the Endangered Species Act that afforded protection to wolves in 1973. Having adhered to those plans, the respective states certainly showed that the wolf populations rebounded. In my estimation, and that of many more professionally qualified people, to the extent there exists viable permanent populations in the Great Lakes area.

However, animal rights groups recently did a much better job of proving their point in court than any opposition to them. I think it's using a "sliding scale"....considering the respective Wolf Management plans were ostensibly approved by the Feds when they were established. Whatever.........a better case must be made in court, with the appropriate time for public input as defined by the court.