Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin

Instead of the heat radiating out of the cooker, it radiates back in towards the food. It makes for more even cooking, more efficient fuel usage and more consistent results in evenly cooked food without the hot and cold spots associated with gas grills.
I was looking for "the best" gas grill (had no desire for a "charcoal" grill) when building my new house about 4 years ago. During my search I kept coming across "the big green egg". I had never read so many customer reviews that raived about their investment, some posted several years after they purchased. Then I ran into a few people who owned them. My aquaintences' comments went something like this. "They make for the best steak you've ever had" etc., etc.
Then upon researching ceramics I settled on a Grill Dome. But I only live an 90 miles from Atlanta where they are distributed from so I didn't have to have it shipped. It saved me about $150 over a large Egg. But whether you want an Egg, Primo or Grill Dome (Ceramic Grill Smokers), any of these will make for the most flexible, consistent, and easy to use grill-smoker-oven, you could ever buy. It's one investment you'll never regret and you'll only miss the money till you've cooked your first meal on the Ceramic. Check out their websites and forums. The Big Green Egg has the best forum. Hang out there a while and ask them your questions or concerns then make your decision as you see fit. Just my two cents

PS, I'm originally from St. Louis, "Go Cards!" "Where'd you go to High School?"

I went to school at Saint Louis University High School and love the Cards, though the game tuesday about made me cry.

Thanks for all the info on the BGE... it was not that I ever doubt it was an effective tool just seemed that maybe the cost to benefit ratio was a little off but it sounds like that is only a concern until you own one, then you don't think about it. I will certainly do a little more research and when I am ready to buy another grill/smoker in the next 2 years, I may just end up with one.

Assume I have to have it shipped... what would a large egg with just the basic accessories really need to cook most common steaks, ribs, butts, etc... I don't need anything fancy for cooking cockroaches or will allow me to also use it to wash my dog... just a ROM would be helpful. I think the place that I called near me said they started at $850 but I really don't remember and sounds like their may be some internet options that may be worthwhile if the price is better and I don't have to pay 7.5% tax.

Thanks

Andrew