Hey TJ thanks for your comments--I am and have been a great fan of the 6mm bore--over the years have had a number of 243's and 6mm's.However finally settled on my Ruger #1 6mm as the favorite!! This gun was a one holer right out of the box and over the last 20 years has accounted for numerous deer and antelope.With that strong action and long barrel I think I am able to ring out max performance,so says the ballistics tables.Your AI version should be OK as long as you stay with a longer tube--you probably already know if you build that on a short mountain setup you will probably be right back at normal operating perameters of the standard round.I would go with no less than a 24" tube. In regards to the choice you might be making between the 25/06 IMP and 6mm AI mine would be the latter only because I've taken many deer over the years with both standard versions[used to own a Ruger 77 in 25/06] and had very good results with both!! You're right a little less bark out of the 6 and easier on the pocket book with components. Be talkin at you again I'm sure----Flem

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody