Originally Posted by Tennessee
I am a hunting rookie. I have about 15 kills on hogs and deer.

With bullets I went from one end of the spectrum to the other. Most of the stuff I have shot has been with high frag bullets like the Sierra Matchking and the Hornady V-max. My last two kills were TSX bullets.

My question for some of you with more experience is, does one type of bullet appear to down whitetail deer faster? Penetrators or Frags? No difference?

Tennessee �

The question for me is not which is faster, as my experience with several good bullets (Grand Slams, North Fork, TTSX and MRX) have all provided kills where the animal went straight down. More often than not, in fact, at least for the last few years. Last year I had an antelope run about 20 yards (.257 Roberts/100g TTSX) but also had two deer drop straight down (.300 WM/180g MRX). My son-in-law dropped an antelope straight down with a .30-06/168g TTSX last year and I did one the year before with a .308 Win/168g TTSX. A couple years ago I dropped two cow elk straight down with a .30-06 and a 165g North Fork. Both got back up went straight down again with a follow-up shot. That same year I dropped a buck with a quartering-away shot behind the ribs that became a shot low to the right ham when the buck turned away and stepped forward as the trigger broke. The buck went straight down and the 7mm RM/140g North Fork was found up against the sternum.

The question for me is not what will work when things go right but what bullet do I want in my rifle when things go south.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 07/24/10.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.