I'm one of the "mule men, Ray loves to hate. Usually the problem is the ignorance or predjudice of those who think mule men know nothing. In reality it is the "cowboy" who is usually short sighted in the superiority of the mule. Thier problem usually comes from the fact that they are use to bullying a horse and then they get up against a mule that will not bully. I have worked cattle,horses, driven, packed ,guided, ridden mules for many years.I will stack my knowledge up againsts others any time as to being well versed.

Usually the undesireable traits attributed to mules comes directly from improper training or handling, not the breed in itself. Hence the statement horses are usualy easier to get along with. The second most common problem is selecting undesireable brood mares or jacks that produce unsuitable temperment in mules. Given that a horse or mule is trained properly and take that out of the equation a mule will excel a horse in about every other capacity.

It is a proven fact that mules eat about 60-75% of what a horse does.They are by nature healthier and not prone to all the maladies that horses are.They will out work a horse of similar stature. They usually have an easier gait than a horse. They can subsist on rougher forage and although they do colic and founder,it is less prevalent in a mule
Due to thier inherited higher sense of self presevation that thay get from the donkey side of the equation, they get into less trouble if left alone. It is true that once you start to use shoes, you usually have to keep at it,but mules in general have tougher and healthier feet than a horse. If both are left unshod, the mule will go longer in rougher country all other things being equal. Mules do better in heat than horses, which is one reason they were used in Death Valley Borax mines. In certain parts of the country like NM St Augustine Plains and the high desert country of AZ,you now can find more mules being used to work ranches than horses, becasue they do better in the heat and rough country. You can work a horse to death,but a mule will stop before that happens( another reaosn" cowboys " don't like mules). Raise both a horse and a mule in the same country and the mule will learn faster and better to be aware of where it puts it's feet, ie,being more sure footed.Take a flat land raised mule and put it up aginst a mountain raised horse and yes the mule will look like a club footed drunk.

The glorified jobs are left to the horses, but when push comes to shove those in the know go get a mule to get the job done. Mules have been trained to do every thing a horse does and then some,however,a lot of folks miss the part about certain mules are bred to do certain jobs better,just as certain horses are bred to do certain jobs better.

Have you ever heard of horse back rides down into the Grand Canyon? There is a reason for that!

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/03/10.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles