Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
The recession had been extremely hard on the long gun industry especially the muzzle loading rifle market. The muzzle loading market IMO has peaked and only new technology in rifles and or lower priced rifles will continue to sell ML.

Doc

i dont know Doc . a whole lot of companies were having problems before the recession.
It costs a lot of money to come out with a new product . Especially if that product is completely new
A whole lot of these companies were just barely breaking even as it was

So in many cases the recession was just the straw that broke the camels back .

Personally the only thing that surprises me about this closer , is that it took so long .
Right after S&W bought out TC they had that news release that said they would discontinue much of the muzzle loading production , once inventory was sold off .
Then those statements were pulled .
But a whole lot of folks figured from day one that all S&W was after was the , name and the barrel making facilities .
Myself , I believe that once S&W fully assimilates TC into S&W production , you will see TC get closed down .. We might see some of the more popular center fire production be kept up . But past that S&W will run whats left of TC down the drain

I also think that the modern muzzle loading industry is fast going the same direction as the Traditional muzzle loading industry .
IE they semi custom and custom market will start up . while at the same time the mass production industry will become more importers, like Investment arms and CVA .
Possibly we may even see some Folks trying to market very cheep imports from India in the years to come .

that�s the only way your going to see lower prices . Which inevitably will also bring lower quality .
Simply put companies cannot produce at lower prices under our current system of regulations that�s been implemented over the last 30 or so years .

I sure would be nice if the market would grow considerably . Which would then allow mass production to drive the cost down . But I don�t believe that will happen as we have for the most part accepted higher costs . The public pays those costs without even thinking .
Look at the modern muzzle loading projectile industry . As long as people are willing to pay outlandish prices , then the next evolution of products will only cost more..
But then its really a catch 22 because if people stop paying those prices then either production dries up OR the producers move to where they can manufacture cheaper . then they either turn around and sell it back here at the same cost or less . Thus forcing those companies still here in the US to compete ,move or shut down .

Now enter the evil head of inflation .
I can remember making custom muzzleloaders for around 500.00 . Today I can hardly even buy the parts for most rifles at that cost . Never mined making much of those parts myself only raises the price in my labor. Which for the most part a fella is lucky to get � of minimum wage making a semi custom gun .
It sure seems like it�s a never ending spiral upwards .

I think we as consumers have to change out mindset if we are going to see US companies servive.
Only time will tell I guess .

Last edited by captchee; 12/10/10.

[Linked Image]