Mel at Kifaru just announced the Ultra Light Packs so I feel OK to post a few thoughts.

I have been using a Kifaru UL 5200 for 2 1/2 months. I have carried heavy loads, I have crawled through timber and brush, I have used it as I would any pack and it looks the same as when I got it.

I carried an entire boned out ewe sheep and camp with it. Total weight 87 lbs. It carried as good as a pack possibly can. Aron has carried considerably more weight.

As far as noise, I feel it is less noisy than any cordura pack.

Mine came with no accessories so this is what I added:

On the left side of the hip belt I put on a Granite Gear Hip Belt Pocket.

On the right side, my Zeiss Rangefinder Case

On the shoulder strap, an MLD Water bottle pocket

On the back outside of the pack I added a homemade Grab-It

The pack is really amazing, but has a few limitations.
It is 5200 cubic inches, so if you are used to carrying a LH Guide or Rondy, you will have to slim down your gear. When accessories like pods and pocket become available, expansion will be more possible.

Like all ultralight gear a bit more care will be needed for longterm durability. No one complains about the fabric in tipis or Mont-Bell Thermawarps. You just use some common sense in using them. They certainly don't need to be babied though.

Some of the features:
White fabric interior for ease of finding gear
Load Lifters
Lumbar Pad
Simple Compression, 2 strapes each side
Laminated Stays from Carbon Fiber and Hardwood
Attachment points for an entire selection of ultra light accessories, from pods and pockets to grab-it's

Thes are pretty amazing packs. I expect my 5200 to be my main backpacking and hunting pack for many years. In short this is a pack that has exactly what it needs but nothing more.

Here are a few photos of the UL 5200 in use:

87 lbs on the way out:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ed T