Originally Posted by BobinNH
As to D'Arcy(or Steve Hielman, or Tom Burgess,or Gene Simillion to name others,not having anything worth $14,000 bucks, that is very firmly their business and I always refrain from telling a man what his time is worth...he sets the price and I can either afford to pay it, or I can't;but if the product,based on its' performance,is stellar, I refrain from saying that it isn't "worth it"...there are some custom smiths for which I would say it is not worth it,because the product did not turn out as good as expected.

Since you mentioned Gene Simillion. A local guy who has hunted africa a bunch decided he needed the Simillion experience and ordered a rifle.The rifle gets shipped to a local riflesmith which I use a bunch and of which the proud simillion owner also uses and hangs around the shop all the time. I happen to be in the shop when the rifle is delivered.The proud owner opens the rifle case and finds the rifle has no scope on it.So he calls Simillion up and asks "where is my scope,you said you were going to do load development with my optics?". Simillion replies that it must be a simple mix up,send back the rifle.The owner asks "can't you just send the scope and I'll let my regular smith mount the scope for me and we'll call it good". Simillion replies no way,I have to mount the scope to stand behind our work and we'll test the rifle again". So the guy sends the rifle back and Simillion sends it back about a week later. I get a call from the smith and he says get down to my shop quick you have to see this [bleep] simillion job. I get there and the owner is beyond pissed.The rifle looks ok.Scopes on it as promised.Problem is the bolt handle won't clear the rear of the scope. Simillion didn't do a [bleep] thing but throw the scope on and ship the rifle back.

Watching a 65 year old retired executive go ape [bleep] on simillion over a speaker phone was priceless.The term "You lying Cock$ucker" was used a bunch.