GaryVA

I took a stock off a short action Winchester EW that weighed 30 oz. The short actions are the same overall length as long actions, but weigh more because there is less material cut out for the action.

The Edge I replaced it with weighs 22oz, for a half pound reduction. As well as a trimmer, better balanced stock. All that metal in the stock forces them to be clunky and thick.

The Winchester stock is the LIGHTEST Medalist stock B&C makes. The other Medalist stocks made by Stockys are advertised at 36 oz. An Edge would not quite be a full pound lighter, but 14 oz is significant. All of the factory synthetics I've weighed were between 30-32oz. They may look ugly, but seem to function fine. No one buys a synthetic to look good anyway. It is all about function and the factory synthetics seem to function just fine. I'm not saying B&C stocks are junk. They work just fine, but I can't see paying $200 for a stock that offers me no advantages over the stock I already have. An Edge is $500, but I gain something for my money. I've made the mistake by buying B&C in the past and won't make that mistake again.

If I were putting together a rifle where weight was of no concern, maybe. But even then why spend $200 for a heavy synthetic, when $100 buys you a heavy laminated wood stock.

The only truly lightweight B&C makes is the Ti at 24oz. I also have one of those on a stainless Remington Mt. Rifle. Because it has no aluminum block they are trim and well balanced. I do have concerns about the strength without the metal. The only synthetic stocks I've ever seen anyone manage to break were the B&C Ti stocks.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.