JG, I understand where you're coming from completely. Rules are rules, and if one chooses to disobey, he must be ready to suffer the consequences.
I have been hunting for over 45 years and have had the good fortune to take many admirable trophies, including 6 that are in the current B&C book. I have taken, and treasure, pictures of every big game animal I've taken since I was 14 years old. These photos are as important to me as the shoulder mounts on the wall.
When I was drawn for the WSMR oryx hunt, I knew it would be a once-in-a-lifetime hunt. I also knew that the taking of photos was officially verboten. I struggled with the bitter idea that I should leave my camera at home.
This hunt required that every hunter be accompanied by a "helper". Conveniently, I had a good friend who guides for elk in Units 15 and 16 AND just happens to be a civilian employee of the WSMR. So, I asked him to accompany me. When I mentioned the Air Force policy of denying photos, he boo-hooed it and said not to give it a 2nd thought.
So, after taking my trophy, my camera emerged for a few fast and discreet photos that deliberately omitted any military stuff in the background. The guide thought I was being unecessarily cautious. So....I have a few pics of my oryx to go along with the mount on the wall. FWIW, I now understand photos ARE allowed on the Range.
Of historical note, the first atomic test ever undertaken was at a spot called Trinity Site on the WSMR. Looking north from prominent points in our oryx area, one can plainly appreciate the sparse vegetation that, to this day, is notable within the 100-milisecond area of the blast. I admit I was tempted, but I snapped NO photos. Other hunters had no such misgivings and shot away.
I live in Texas too. This afternoon, I drove from Tyler to Dallas on I-20 and set my cruise control at 72 mph (speed limit--70 mph). I knew perfectly well I was violating the law. Over that 100 mile stretch, I passed 3 or 4 cars. 30 or 40 passed me!
Out of the some-400 hunters on the WSMR that weekend, I wonder how many went home with trophy photos and how many without? I'll bet a 6-pack that >90% have photos of their trophies.
I'm not saying it was right, or ethical. But that's what I did. If some guvmint snoop wants to chase me down, he can have at it. I wonder what the statute of limitations is on such a violation committed in 1999?
Here is a photo of my bull, 36" on the best side and taken on the second morning. I don't believe any military clutter is in the background of this pic, or any other.
I'm not bragging or condoning, just saying how it was.
[Linked Image]

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.