Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Seafire,

Are you getting 3350 with a 100 grain pill out of a .260? I didn't know they could be loaded that quick. I bet a 100 grain ballistic tip at that speed through the ribs would be devastating.

Yeah,

I've taken several deer with that combo at 300 plus yards..
even at that distance, the 100 grain Ballistic tip left about 15lbs of blood shot meat on the oft side shoulder..

each deer was DRT, but I don't recommend that bullet on MVs over 2600 fps anymore...

I have about 300 Nosler 105 grain SMP partitions, that were factory seconds, from some Euro contract overrun...I use those at 3350 fps out of my Rugers.

work up, and I can only verify it being safe in my rifle, but it is not much more than some load data posted with this powder...my load is 43.5 grains of IMR 4064 over a large rifle primer and a 100 grainer seated out to touch the lands, or be magazine length...

a 100 grain Ballistic tip over 30 grains of RL 7 is also a darn good combo for ranges under 250 yds.. giving an Mv of 2600 fps...same with a 120 grain ballistic tip if hunting woods ranges, or where shots are under 250 yds...

addendum:

here the results of a 175lb Blacktail buck meeting a 100 grain Ballistic tip at 125 yds, that left the Muzzle at 3350 fps out of a Ruger 77 Mk 2..

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Seafire; 03/08/11.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez