Originally Posted by BCSteve
I recently started playing with the Barnes 175gr LRX in my .300 WSM. Pretty sleek bullet. Here's once next to a 180gr SST for comparaison.

[Linked Image]

If I was going after elk, etc, I'd be looking at a Barnes load. With Whitetails, I'm afraid a heavy Barnes will shoot thru without enough expansion. If I was going to use Barnes, I'd go with a lighter bullet at high speed, i.e. 130 gr at 3,000+ in a .308 and in the .300 Win Mag, probably a 150 gr. cranked up as hot as I could accurately shoot it. That way, I'd be hoping for optimal expansion. I've never been able to get Barnes to shoot as tight at the Nosler B.T.'s, although pretty close in some cases. They're good bullets. Because they're of lighter material, they're long for weight as compared with lead cup and core bullets. One can justify backing off the weight and push the velocity. With Barnes, one doesn't need a lot of bullet weight for penetration but velocity is needed to peal those petals back to max expansion. The TTSX, reportedly, is better than the TSX in this regard and has a higher B.C. due to it's more streamlined profile.

IMHO, of course.

DF