I looked but did not see the caliber mentioned?

I have two model 50 Higgins rifles. These are the ones that sport FN Mauser actions. I have posted many questions about them, and gotten few answers. the two I have are in 30-06 and 270, the only two calibers of the model 50 (the 270 caliber is far and away the rarest of two). Here is what I note about my two:

Early - The early ones have a sight slot at the front receiver, and a semi-buckhorn sight turned backwards. The tapered portion of the barrel shank is shorter on this model, and the action will fit into a MARK X stock or later stock, but there will be a noticeable gap at that shank as a result. I am pretty sure that the bore is chrome lined. it is rapid taper and the diameter is about .550. The safety is a Buehler-type, and releases on the left, so you have to reach over the bolt shroud to access it. The action is FN marked. If you buy one, try to get one with bases attached, because there ain't another base made today that fully fits it - even the models by Leupold require an additional hole to be drilled, and Leupy will tell you that if you call. I have one on ebay right now under my moniker of 'kfb2b' there. Talleys might fit, but man will you have the mad-jack in it at the end! A Weaver/Rem 788 rear fits too, but you have to shorten the screws due to the bolt flange. The floor plate is held by a spring tension button and while very secure, you need to be cognizant of that fact, because it is not permanently attached and if it disconnects, then it will go bye-bye, and that can be embarrassing in a deer stand. the stock is bedded at the action only and has a pressure point at the tip, and has very-very nice heavily mineral striped wood, without cheekpiece, and somewhat squared fore end. My early gun in 270 even has very nice feathering in the wood and a plain finish. the sling swivels are mounted in threaded brass posts and can be unscrewed stock. The trigger on my .270 is right at three pounds and is the odd two-piece type in this design

Later - The later models (my 30-06)are nearly the same as above, but the barrel shank is longer, the safety is one the other side, and the barrel rear sight sports a neat little rear sight block/knuckle for a a semi-buckhorn rear that just the same sight flipped 'round the other way, as we are used to seeing it (note that on mine,t he evelators did not interchange!) rear. The stock is fully glass bedded thru the action a rear and barrel channel, has detachable swivels, and a very-very pretty straight-grained stock that features gorgeous light/heavy mineral streaking that gives the varnish stock an almost 3-D effect.

Both guns have super-smooth actions, and I want to eventually get one of the later guns and have it re-bored to 35 Whelen. I have $350 in to '06 (sell scope) and $500 total in the .270, but that includes the 1-pc. bases and Weaver 4-12 power scope with tapered reticle tht I bought from a 'Fire member.

I will try to post some pics before the missus and I head to Asheville.

Last edited by iambrb; 05/07/11.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.