Originally Posted by iambrb
Here are the pics:

The Shiny-varnish stock s the later model by serial number. Both guns have a weird code stamped into the barrel that cannot be deciphered.

This pic shows both guns and you can see the rear sight types plus a bith of the barrel shanks differences and safeties:
[Linked Image]

This shows the buttstock of the early .270 & �06, look at the wood that was considered average/economy back in the day!
[Linked Image]
Butt on the �06:
[Linked Image]

this shows the slight difference in the safeties � on the .270, that is a bit harder to get to and I bet that is why ot changed:
[Linked Image]
note that I have seen several 270 mod. 50�s, and they all have this style safety.

Here is the Receiver detail of both � as you can see, they are nearly the same, witht the .270 on the bottom, note that the mineral streaking in the top gun turns into this pretty mottled streak in the forearm area:
[Linked Image]

I have two of these also, both in 30-06. Both have the "new" style sight with the bolt shroud in-the-white and the safety on the left. Neither was bedded from the factory, although the wood to metal fit on one was so good that I decided not to bother bedding it. The safety on the left is a bit awkward, but I've never seen a 50 any other way. I suspect that the blue shroud and RH safety may have been swapped in later.

Boy, for the days when you could walk into Sears, put your money down and walk out with a rifle of this quality for under $100:
[Linked Image]
Note the "backwards" sight in the ad. The bore is definitely chrome lined.

Both of mine are configured like this:
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e166/nat_mann/JChigginsmodel50pic.jpg[/img]

As far as boring it to 35 Whelen, I once had the same thought but reconsidered. Model 50s are so accurate it doesn't make much sense to fool with them. I ended up rebarreling a Mark X instead. Even if you used a premium barrel you would be lucky if $500+ later the gun shot as well as it did with the original barrel. If you do go ahead with reboring, be sure to mention to the gunsmith that the barrel is chromed before you get an estimate.

Last edited by natman; 05/10/11.