Originally Posted by JonA
Cited? Quoted? Mis-Quoted? Paraphrased? If somebody goes around saying 2+2=5 and lists me as the source, I would hope people would come to me and verify before making assumptions.

Long odds that something you wrote would be published in Shooting Times or some other publication, but if it were no one needs to check with you first to talk about what you wrote as long as they properly cite the source. That was done for Ken�s article. If you don�t think what MacLorry is saying is right then find a copy of Ken�s article and make a specific point. It�s not anyone else�s obligation to provide it for you.

Originally Posted by JonA
Maybe lost credibility with a 6th grader who doesn�t know what a coefficient is or what it is for. A coefficient simply scales a curve up or down. Hopefully my explanation above covered this for you. A FF of 1.0 at a certain velocity simply means the bullet�s actual curve crosses the theoretical G7 curve at that single point. It means nothing about how close the curves are over the rest of the graph. The rest of the curve could be wildly different.

The shape of the curve is what matters. This is what is programmed into your ballistics program. How far away from the X-Axis the curve is (a form factor of 1.0 vs. 1.3) has no influence on the accuracy of your results. This is why you input the ballistic coefficient into your program, so it can scale the curve up or down and give you the proper results. If the bullet�s actual curve is much different from the theoretical drag curve, you will get inaccurate results even if the bullet�s average form factor is 1.00000000.

From the dictionary: coefficient is a numerical constant that is a measure of a property of a substance. 6th grade math shows that a bullet with the same form factor as a standard has a value of 1. If it�s a perfect match it has a value for 1 at all velocities. Pick any velocities you want and plot them to get your curve. You can make the strawman argument that even the Y-axis intercepts the standard bullet�s curve if that makes you feel smart, but the context is VLD bullets. You only need look at the bullet drawings in Bryan�s book to see that every one with an i7 form factor close to 1 has a shape similar to the G7 standard bullet on the cover. What�s obvious seems to escape you in your attempt to disagree at all costs.

It�s pretty obvious your real goal is to disagree regardless of how dumb or out of contest your arguments are. I�ve ran all MacLorry�s numbers and more and what he�s saying is correct. My contention is that it doesn�t make much difference in the real world. Still, I�m going to buy Bryan�s second edition book because I think having an independent verification of other manufacturer�s BCs is important to long range shooting. I hope you can at least agree with that.