Originally Posted by jryoung
Probably been discussed extenseviley before but why a Mashburn over a STW. Is it the awesome factor? As in you're at the range, and your neighbor says "what are you shooting there"? and you reply "7mm Mashburn Super", your neighbor then asks "what's a 7mm Mashburn Super"? You then get a serious look on your face look him dead in the eye and say...."awesome". wink

Since I've been recently dissapointed with my 7RM handloads and a lover of the .284 maybe I need to look to a bigger case.

jr:No, it isn't that....anymore than it is with any wildcat..no one really gives a shidt what ya shoot anyway smile

Just like for 280AI shooters,it's a way to get a bit of an edge,velocity wise,without leaning hard on a cartridge.That's all.....anyone at the range asks what I am shooting I just say...."7mm Mag" smile

Your experience with the 7RM (and what you say above about your 7RM),is the reason I tried a couple of larger capacity 7mm's,like the STW and the Dakota.I have seen the velocities like you are getting....but a 140 gr bullet at 3050 is not why I buy a 7mm magnum....I expect that with a 160-175 gr bullet. So, for the same reasons many on here want a 280AI, I wanted something that handled heavy 7mm bullets, faster.

Tried the STW....good choice of course but most of the bluster and thunder comes from 26" of tube,which I don't like or want...I simply did not want an STW......and the Dakota was a very good cartridge with a single source of brass,but I encountered some brass problems with it in the form of splits on the second firing....plus if you hunt with a 7mmDakota, you just might as well have a wildcat, cause you will not find ammo anywhere.

The Mashburn just works the way it was designed,no mysteries, very straight forward, and easy to use and like.I can form it easily with commonly available 300 Win Mag brass....Well balanced, efficient, it gives the velocities that everyone has said it will give... like any tools that we use, you don't want any surprises.

It's my fun rifle,as well as being a good load for the hunting I do.....when I don't feel like playing, I grab a 270 smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.