I think Tom Knapp put 450,000 plus documented rounds through one single Benelli M1 with no parts breakages or malfunctions. It is in the Benelli main offices on display. That's a pretty tough track record to beat. Neither one of my M1S90's have ever bobbled even when hot, cold, dry, wet, covered in mud, ice or snow, clean or dirty. Gives me confidence... smile

keith,
Even given equal weights the slowing of the recoil impulse from the semi-auto is going to alter the perception of the recoil. Recoil doesn't feel like a "jab" or "jolt" (as when firing a fixed breech gun) and is more of a "push" instead. Granted, the lightweight inertia guns probably do recoil more sharply than a heavy weight gas gun like an M1100. To me personally my M1's recoil is more pleasant than my near same weight 870's and hunting model Beretta O/U's. I do like the Beretta semi-auto's too and if not shooting a Benelli I could be happy with one of the Beretta guns.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.