I would not be so quick to discount Taylor's knock out formula, for the simple reason that probably no one alive today has as much experience as Taylor had on elephant and other large game animals.

It is doubtful that many, even in Taylor's time, had as much experience as he did.

I was reading a few pagers in his book yesterday. I have had the book for several years, but I have not read it all the way through, front to back. Yesterday was the first time I had read this particular part, and I looked it up to find out what Taylor thought about using the 7X57, with a solid, on Elephant.

I am writing this from memory, so I may have my facts wrong, but as I remember it, Taylor wrote something along the lines that an elephant hit in the guts with a .470 (or .577, or anything) was a wounded and mad elephant.

But, one hit in the brain with a 7 MM solid was a dead elephant, right there. But, a brain shot from a .470 or the .577 would have the same results as the 7X57 in the same place--a very dead elephant.

So would a .470, .577, or 7MM in the guts--a very irate elephant.

So, then, as it is now, it depends on where you hit them, although for a heart shot or other vital area other than the brain, the larger, heavier bullet would be more effective.

That would more than likely be true on buffolo and other large game as well.