Originally Posted by Gath_Sten
Originally Posted by UncleJake
Which just goes to show that some people can't give up a losing argument...

Or convince someone their religion is wrong.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Part of the problem with you and Gath Sten is that neither of you evidently comprehends one basic fact about animal physiology: Even if blood pressure is shut off suddenly, due to a hole through a major blood vessel and/or through both lungs, it takes about 10 seconds for the animal to become unconsciousness. This is why there's so little difference in the distance animals usually travel when shot through the chest cavity with various cartridges. If the bullet is sufficient to cause a sufficient leak, more bullet isn't going to speed up the process. This isn't usually taught in college physics classes.

10 seconds to run even with a hole through a major blood vessel and/or through both lungs. Now take a look at the Berger video and you�ll see two examples where the animal drops in their tracks. It�s obvious that something other than blood loss is going on which leads Berger to say �The VLD will penetrate several inches of hide, muscle, and bone before expanding and fragmenting, causing tremendous hydraulic shock and fragments that wreck the vitals and drops the animal in its tracks.�

Undoubtedly something is going on here,as we have all seen it at one point or another....that instantaneous "lights out" crash where the recoil of the rifle is instantaeously followed by a thoroughly dead animal that collapses like an empty puppet,and without a single twitch....what we call it,what precisely causes it, I don't really know...and don't really care.

I have never used a Berger,but have seen it enough times with tougher bullets as well as fragmenting blow-up types that I have a hard time attributing it to just fragmentation,although undoubtedly that does it ,too.

Personally I think it's "velocity",violent disruption of tissue,as I have noticed it more at closer distances,and so long as the bullet gets inside, past bone and muscle, and expands very violently in vitals...and have seen it not only with fragmenting type bullets, but with bullets that fragment not at all,yet expands to a very wide frontal area, like a Bitterroot,expanding very violently.Innards look like soup after such treatment.

And have also noticed that such bullets seem to do better at distance when started from magnum cartridges;things like a 140 or 165 Bitterroot become hammers when started at 3200+ fps from a 7 RM or 300 Winchester magnum,even at 400 yards or so, about as far as I've used them.

I think the fragmenting bullets have much the same effect,expanding with a wide frontal area as well,but because of the lighter construction,the frontal area is "lost" as the bullet self destructs,so when we find it,(if we do),there is not much of that frontal area left.

I recall killing a buck up in Arroostook County in Maine, jumped in a cedar swamp and running at 35-40 yards;as the rifle recoiled I saw that his legs folded under him in mid air as he went completely loose,nosediving into the snow and dead as a mackerel from a lung shot....load was a 130 Nosler Partition from a 270 Winchester.A load that,according to some, should not be a very fast killer....

But then I have seen other animals,hit slightly wrong,at edges of lungs,or not quite squarely enough,or body shot(back of diaphragm),that carried on with terrible wounds....and have seen it enough that I tend to very much doubt "theories",and numerical quantifications of killing power,or magic in any bullet style,so that the only reliable thing I have personally witnessed that works,consistently and reliably, is good shot placement.

Power,regardless how it is measured,does not make up for it IME.

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/12/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.