Ute? What's a ute?

I think that with small to medium size cases where guys get in trouble is when using slow powders for reduced charges. I've fired thousands of shots in stuff up to .30/06 using micro charges of fast burning powders like Unique, Red Dot, Clays, Bullseye, etc. and never experienced anything remotely like a secondary pressure impulse (or whatever it's called- early onset whatchamacallit you know). That's not to say that I didn't get a few hangfires along the way and maybe fillers would have increased accuracy a few times. Gambling with one's eyes and hands starts to happen with radically reduced loads of 4831, 4350, and other slow powders of that ilk. When it comes to large volume cases like magnums and big ol' black powder rounds I know not, never having messed with them.

I think it's always wise to stick with powders intended for the velocity/case volume/bullet combo one is striving for.

One caveat regarding the OP's question. When working up radically reduced loads there's nothing saying one can't substitute jacketed bullets for cast ones in mid-range loads (say 1300-1800 fps). Expect higher pressures than with cast, but sometimes accuracy can be astonishing and case life is dramatically improved. Just do not try to go sub-sonic with jacketed bullets and light charges of pistol/shotgun powder. The very real likelihood of sticking a bullet halfway down the barrel exists. Ask me how I know...

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/19/11.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty