Sometimes a phenomenon occurs in which the shoulder is driven back ever so slightly, allowing the case to eventually fail if subjected to full pressure loads after having had numerous low pressure loads put through it. Theories are batted around as to why it happens, one of which is that the constant beating caused by the firing pin slowly causes shoulder set-back, coupled with the low pressures of the loads not being sufficient to snap it back. If cases are kept segregated, no harm no foul. Like I said, I never once encountered it. I have only read about it. I suspect there are other mysterious reasons for it, but have no proof. Until we can find a way to install a camera inside the case to record the events that transpire during that micro-second of combustion I suspect we'll never really know. Perhaps it's a job for Super Nanobot!

All that is obviously a moot point with rimmed cartridges. But literally thousands of such loads in medium capacity rimless cases over 40+ years never generated a case failure for me. In an extreme instance, for years I used a big stash of WWI vintage .30/06 brass for all of my cast bullet shooting in that caliber. That stuff had a horrible reputation for being brittle but worked fine for me. I eventually sh*tcanned it because I figured I got my money's worth out of it. After about 30 cycles- why push it.

If you want a real cost savings, select a plain base cast bullet that is sufficiently large enough in diameter to allow it to be thumb seated in an un-sized fired case, but tight enough to stay put while loading it into the chamber. Let it stick way out of the case and rely on contact with the rifling to "seat" it as the bolt is closed. Backed by a pinch of fast shotgun powder and getting barely sonic velocity, you would be amazed at how accurate it can be. You only need to take one case to the range with you, a box of bullets, and a hand tool to de-re cap, and a little powder scoop for a day of pleasant shooting at a cost similar to shooting bulk .22 rimfires, with about as much noise and recoil.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/20/11.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty