Google Alaskan 454 vs Grizzley. This guy was lucky, I would still have some bear spray on my person. It works.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
This comes up since I've been invited by an old friend to join him and a local hunter friend of his in Idaho (where they live currently) to do some elk hunting there, and he informs me that there are grizzly bear warnings for hunters up there recently, some having been attacked. He recommended that, in addition to my .30-06 bolt gun, I also bring a bear stopping handgun to wear while hunting. Most powerful handgun I have is a .44 Magnum. Have three, in fact, but the lightest one is my S&W 329PD, which is what I'm thinking of packing. But I seem to recall reading an article about ten of fifteen years ago that suggested that there's never been a successful self-defense against a grizzly bear with a handgun, regardless of caliber or load, and that your best self-defense against one is whatever rifle you're hunting with. Thoughts?

PS I remember reading accounts of bear attacks, also, where the hunter attempted self-defense with his rifle, and had the rifle knocked from his hands, resulting in a long drawn out mauling because he had nothing else.

"You've got to be slow in a hurry." Wyatt Earp