I think some of you are missing the point. It's not that a handgun is the weaponb[/i] of choice[i] to kill a grizzly. About any rifle would be better. But nothing in the grizzly-attacking-the-surprised-elk-hunter scenario will be a "choice" matter. If it's in your hand when your rifle is ten feet away leaning against a tree for whatever reason, it becomes your weapon of choice. Same thing if you are imitating a burrito in your tent, or you think of the scenario. The main point is to never be separated from it which can happen with a rifle, always be with somebody else, and hunt smart.

As to capability, I've seen a heavily loaded 45 Colt shatter the thoracic spine of a 900 lb buffalo heifer at 50 yds dropping her like an elevator. Much more depends on the ability and coolheadedness of the operator than the inability of a large, properly loaded handgun to break down a bear. And that is why there is, I think, the generally accepted dogma to push bear spray.

It is my perception that the proponents of bear spray are not so purely on the efficacy of it but also on considering the capabilities and inclinations of the average urban dweller in Mendles and Marmot wear.