After reading your post I guess I'll add my .02 on pepper spray. I doubt it's effectiveness as well on a pizzed off bear.

I remember back in the day (Vietnam Era) when tear gas was the weapon of choice for riot control and training in the field. The first time I was hosed with the stuff (I think it was CS gas IIRC) without a gas mask I was in agony. But as time went on, the more and more I was exposed to the gas the more the gas didn't bother me much. It was just like having a lite case of hay fever. After a while, in the field, I never bother to don a gas mask.

I noticed that the professional rioters weren't bother by it much either because they had been exposed to the gas so much they had built up a type of immunity to the gas.

I wonder if bears who have been sprayed by the pepper spray so much have built up an immunity as well? I wonder if the spray has much effect on a really pizzed off bear? Most of the studies I've seen on how wonderfull the spray is, the studies have been done with captured bears in cages.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude