Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Not many have ever HAD to it, Thank God!

Lead on an animal that is trying to make you lunch = ZERO!
More likely , one would be hard pressed to get the gun out of the leather in time to get it into his mouth before he chomps down.

Attacks happen so fast, the better use of the pistol is to put oneself out of his misery after the critter has left the scene.

Interesting. I just talked to a firend of mine at noon who is a retired guide and outfitter. I asked him about lead from about 25 yards in a full out bear charge. He said pretty much what you said, a person will never get their weapon out of the holster to fire the first shot at 25 yards or less and even if they did there's no hand gun on earth that will drop bear at that range before he gets you. He said the best bear stopper at close range is a twelve gauge shotgun but at that close range you might not even get the shotgun in play before the bear gets you. He said people simply do not realize how fast a bear is, inside of 25 yards. My friend, in the day, put down many a bear so he has some experience.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude