Yes. I wondered how many making suggestions actually have faced a bear in any situation where the bear isn't already fleeing, if at all. I have and you might have time to think '[bleep]' and then do it, but otherwise you thank God they were satisfied with the bluff.

Bears don't typically face off, unless they are cornered, want food, or are protecting young. They aren't carnivore hunters, so making occasional noises are going to reduce startling them, you might worry if you are catching a lot of fish, or cleaning them, but otherwise, I don't think food is a particular problem. Momma is a unique problem. I am now terrified of cubs.

Someone else posted the reality, if a bear charges, in almost any situation you are in, you will be lucky to draw anything. So if you are going to shoot, you are doing it before any charge, so at what range do you think pepper spray is going to be effective? And at what range do you think you are going to be able to use a pistol effectively.

The pistol is for criminals, not wildlife, and they are much more likely to be the real 'nuisance' and becoming more numerous.

So a noisemaker is really effective, going too and from your fishing hole. Isn't going to scare the fish.