I'm sorry I haven't opened this thread until now. Tzone brought it to my attention.

Please leave your timing and all ignition related items and adjustments alone. Don't go chasing gremlins that aren't there.

You have a fuel problem. I saw it from your first post and every post you have made since your initial post confirms it.

You are flooding, plain and simple.

Your black plugs, the sluggish running, the heavy fumes, having to hold it open to clear the cylinders to get it to start.

Rich, rich, rich.

You have gone down the right path on your own with fuel pressure gauge and regulator, this tells me that you also suspect a fuel issue.

Mechanical pumps like you have installed usually aren't going to give a problem with overpressure that will overpower your float unseating your needle and flooding your carb.

I do like around 6 PSI myself for a street application where your engine is sucking it's air through a carb.

Overpowering your float with too much fuel pressure is the first suspect and possibility. It's more common in cases where an IFI set up with elect fuel pump has been replaced with a carb but the guy is still running the old efi pump.

Do you have an edelbrock 4 barrel like you spoke of earlier? looks like an old Carter AFB?

does it look like this?

[Linked Image]

This one pictured has an electric choke, does yours have that or is it a manual choke?

here are a couple other possible carbs you might have on your big chevy.

holley:

[Linked Image]

this is a rochester quadrajet:

[Linked Image]

Please tell me it's not that ugly sumbich you have on your engine....

Something clever here.