Hello,

A friend from Outdoors Directory forums suggested I check out this site for some good info on the .35 Whelen. I live in Wasilla, AK when I'm not deployed. I'm currently in Afghanistan and I've been thinking about my next rifle. I need to fill a big bore void in my rifle collection and I love the .30-06 cartridge and it's offspring. I've always liked the .35 Whelen and I've decided it's time to have one in the safe.

I've never spent a lot of money on a rifle. (Army E-5 pay kind of dictates that.) For that reason, I've grown quite fond of Marlin's XL rifles. My first one was a .243 that put handloads into sub-half inch groups at 100 yards. I have another one in 30-06 that I used to take my first black bear last spring. (See avatar)

I'm thinking of buying another XL7 in 30-06 and having it re-barreled in .35 Whelen. Any advice or experience with the .35 Whelen would be appreciated. This will be my first re-barrel custom. I'm hoping to have Wild West Guns in Anchorage handle the work for me. Lack of factory ammo is not a problem since I handload.

Thanks in advance!

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."