Guys,

What is currently the best sporter weight rifle/scope available with minimal modification (bedded, floated, trigger job) that would produce say, 6" groups at 500 yds. consistently, in a rifle suitable for DIY deer hunting.

I realize that is not really long range for most of the readers of this forum, but to me, a 500 yd. shot made under field conditions (meaning long hikes in rough country) with 95% confidence would be very respectable shooting.

I am thinking of something along the lines of a Tikka, Ruger Hawkeye, Rem. 700 CDL, or Savage, with Leupold VX III 3.5-10 with B&C, and cal. .25-06, .270 WCF, .270 WSM, (6.5-284in the Savage) or something approximately in this category. NULA and that class of rifles also a consideration, though pricey and maybe not needed just to meet the basic requirement.

Thanks for ideas - especially regarding scopes and reticles (am open to turrets as well).

forepaw

"Only accurate rifles (that are light enough to be carried by a middle-aged man in rough country) are interesting"