Originally Posted by forepaw
Guys,

What is currently the best sporter weight rifle/scope available with minimal modification (bedded, floated, trigger job) that would produce say, 6" groups at 500 yds. consistently, in a rifle suitable for DIY deer hunting.

I realize that is not really long range for most of the readers of this forum, but to me, a 500 yd. shot made under field conditions (meaning long hikes in rough country) with 95% confidence would be very respectable shooting.

I am thinking of something along the lines of a Tikka, Ruger Hawkeye, Rem. 700 CDL, or Savage, with Leupold VX III 3.5-10 with B&C, and cal. .25-06, .270 WCF, .270 WSM, (6.5-284in the Savage) or something approximately in this category. NULA and that class of rifles also a consideration, though pricey and maybe not needed just to meet the basic requirement.

Thanks for ideas - especially regarding scopes and reticles (am open to turrets as well).

forepaw

[Linked Image]

Next question please whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA