Lots of ethnic influences on "PA-speak". Anything from eastern Europeans, to da Amish. Some of it blended together over many generations. Been exposed to most of them.

Once worked for Bethlehem Steel in Steelton (near Harrisburg). Most of the ethnic groups "stuck together" at meal time, but I often bounced around, ate with most of them while working there.

That little town had just about every European ethnic group represented and at one time, each group had its own Catholic church and social club. The Diocese long ago consolidated most of the churches, but the clubs remain. And as noted previously above, most belonged to more than one ethnic social club and attended all the picnics. Beer, good eats, polkas and more beer.

Noticed years ago, that much of northern Indiana, Wisconsin, western NY and northcentral PA, have similar accents. Was in Elkhart, IN once and thought I was back in northcentral PA, where my dad is from and where I still hunt. Most pronounce "on" as "ahn", fog as fahg, etc.

'Course my maternal Granny always had her a "flahr" garden out back.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.