[Linked Image]
many years ago I saw a nice detailed picture in an add in the back of the shotgun news for this model sako 375 H&H carbine that looked something similar like this,picture posted, but with far darker, almost black walnut wood in the stock,and I decided I (NEEDED IT) badly, the cost was much higher than reason, would suggest be spent, but once a 4x Leopold scope was installed, and it was sighted in, it served very well for many years as my second ELK rifle, loaded with 300 grain hornady bullets, over a stiff charge of WW760 powder (77 grains) and a federal 215 primer, its never failed to kill ELK VERY effectively.
this is probably not a cost effective combo , as the rifles expensive and you need to hand-load to afford the ammo,but its certainly very dependable, and kills ELK like THORS HAMMER in the thick timber at ranges under 200-250 yards, (most of the shots/KILLS Ive had were WELL UNDER THAT RANGE)so IVE always loved hunting with it in the dark timber or snowy days, and the carbines been used as the camp back up some years and its also killed several mule deer.
its 20" barrel makes it really handy in the conifers and aspens but limits the 300 grain bullets to about 2450fps but the ELK don,t seem to see the limitations that poses,Ive had a couple ELK looking at me in thick lodge pole timber and shots to the central chest, or shoulder as they spin to run, seem to do a good job, its just a pleasure to hunt with.
If I remember correctly one of the gun rag writers had a similar carbine in 30/06 sprg. (wooters maybe) and his worked really well also
Mike got invited on an ELK hunt in Montana, a a fiends ranch last year, he had been using a 308 win carbine for the last few years to hunt ELK in Colorado and he had done rather well in that all but one year he had located and shot a legal ELK. he had never expressed any complaints as to his rifles effectiveness. but last year he had sent his rifle out to get a new barrel and trigger installed, and as the date to leave got closer it became obvious that he was not likely to get the rifle back in time to hunt with.
I suggested he borrow one of my ELK rifles and he rather reluctantly selected my 375H&H sako, carbine,

I gave him several dozen cartridges and he sighted in the rifle (really just confirmed it hit where ID set it to hit 3.3" high at 100 yards) with the hornady 270 grain bullets and kept it in case his rifle didn,t show up.
well he took the trip with the sako and got a decent 4x4 elk on the last day of the hunt at a range of about 300 yards, he knew he was sighted dead on at 225 yards so he put the horizontal cross hair on the ELKS spine just behind the front leg and fired figuring the bullet would hit some place in the chest cavity, he was correct! it hit just a bit over the heart or about 9" lower than the cross hairs , but what he said amazed him was he both heard the bullet slap home and saw it kick up dirt beyond the bull, at first he thought he shot low, but the ELK just stood there, took a step and crumbled.

he said hes rarely seen an elk or deer not run once hit with his 308 win.
hes now trying to talk me into selling my 375 H&H carbine, so I guess hes seen and now recognizes the effect of the heavier calibers, I know he was impressed with the pass thru and internal damage

if you want a much lower recoil load..??
Ive used several,HAND LOADS, but NEVER FACTORY LOADS,I doubt youll go wrong with this
72 grains of WW760, 215 primer and 270 ,grain Speer boat tail
its NOT a hot load but its very accurate in my SAKO carbine, and several guys in my elk camp have borrowed that SAKO carbine and killed ELK and wanted to buy the carbine after seeing it did so well in the timber, shots out to about 300 yards have worked great, but I can,t say much further as every ones killed elk under that range.
keep in mind when your throwing a 270 grain bullet at about 2570fps its going to expand but frequently punch clear thru an elks chest
http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/d...;type=Rifle&Order=Powder&Source=

http://www.realguns.com/loads/375.htm

http://www.loaddata.com/members/sea...;header=.37%20Caliber%20Reloading%20Data

Last edited by 340mag; 01/28/12.