Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Here's Dan's old tundra lt that I traded for:

[Linked Image]

I finally got into sleds a few weeks ago with a what I figured was a good deal, '96 skandic 500 fan for $400. I figured, hey it runs what could be wrong? Long story short, it has over 10,000 miles on it and the good news is the engine was replaced or re-built fairly reasonably. The bad news started when I pulled the stock track out to swap in a used summit paddle track. The front shock in the skid had a busted spring so was useless, all the bearings in the idlers were shot, driveshaft bearing shot, the driveshaft bearing was replaced at some point and the oil seal in the chain case was knocked loose so no oil in the chaincase. The oil splash ring was put in the wrong way which resulted in it grinding against the snap ring and the bolt wasn't properly torqued so it came loose and the large gear was beat up as well as the inboard half of the chaincase bearing. The jackshaft bearing was pretty much toast.

I did manage to replace all that stuff minus the front shock, added a missing windshield and discovered the carb boots were cracking so got replacements. I'm thinking It's up to $1200 and still needs the seat recovered and a new front bumper. I did go out for a ride on Sunday with the kids, the oldest boy managed to get it stuck twice, first time before I even got the tundra out of the truck. Second time was him not listening to me telling him to stay off the overflow. It's a lesson better learned within a mile of home with temps in the 30's then way out in the boonies with sub zero temps.

I'll get some pics when it's finally all back together. Should be a perfect sled for accessing remote property which is why I got the sleds in the first place. Might also be getting another one sooner than later.

Overflow can be a royal pain-in-the-ass. I've gone through a few times. One time ended up thigh-deep in the stuff at -40 something. Wasn't fun. I was a long way from the cabin. It's a risky business.