The Italian autos are good shotguns that offer lighter weight with shims and spacers for a custom fit and most of them will also handle 3" & 31/2" mag. shells. Most 1100s don't and the ones that do only shoot 3" mags. All at a considerably higher price than a used or new 1100.

I've owned both a Beretta 391 and a Benelli Montefeltro. I also own 2 1100s, a 12 and a 20. I've owned them for over 30 years and they are used for clays & hunting. I'm not a high volume shooter but shoot skeet, trap & sporting clays at least once a month. They've had plenty of rounds through them during this time and still work fine. I sold the 391 and the Benelli for a decent price. There wasn't anything wrong with them but since I didn't shoot them any better than the 1100s I took the money.

IMO a decent used 1100 is worth a try if you don't shoot 3&1/2" magnum loads. If you don't like it resell it and you won't be out too much. If the used 1100 works out for you you've saved a considerable amount of money.

I've found both types of guns to be reliable for the average shooter if properly maintained. How well you shoot them usually gets down to who's shooting not what they're shooting.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 02/17/12.